Beginning in the first decades of the twentieth century, Christina Lake provided summer cottages, fishing, swimming and other entertainment to residents of Grand Forks and the Boundary region.
The 1920s saw further growth of Christina Lake as a recreational community and tourism destination. The completion of the Cascade-Rossland highway in 1922 provided vacationers from Rossland and Trail with a direct route to the Boundary for the first time. In the 1920s, Prohibition in the United States encouraged an influx of visitors from north-east Washington, who were attracted by the Lake’s saloons and dance halls. Even during the depression of the 1930s Christina Lake attracted a number of tourists, mostly vacationers from Rossland, Trail and the Grand Forks area.
A summer resort hotel was built on English Point in 1928-9, and was run by George Brown and subsequent owners until 1942, when the hotel and its surrounding cabins were used to house Japanese families interred away from the coast for the duration of WWII. A few families remained in the area after the last of the restrictions were lifted in 1949, others settled elsewhere.
In 1934 at the age of 23, at the direction of his mother Georgetti Schulli, Albert Schulli purchased the 10-acre parcel situated on Christina Lake. The parcel contained 2 buildings, a log house and a barn. The log house built around the turn of the century was used as a home and as a general store.
With his friends Jack Johnson and 'Shorty' Bailey, over the next few summers albert and his friends constructed the summer cabins we see today. The cabins had a double bed and screened in porches, used as hunting and fishing shacks for the customers that would take the train from Trail to Fife and walk down to the lake.
In 1947, Albert and Sylvia moved from Trail to Christina Lake with their children